Key n°1: Your administrative procedures
Key n°2: Your home
Key n°3: Your vehicle
Key n°4: Your money
* Aimez, vivez Rouen Normandie !

A successful settling in …

As soon as you arrive, you will ask yourself very practical questions about your future installation. What procedures shall I apply for? How to find a home that I like ? Will I have to pay taxes? Where do I open a bank account ? offers solutions so that your installation goes as well as possible and that from the beginning, your stay and that of your family, takes place in the best conditions.

Key n°1: Your administrative procedures

You are arriving in France and you are wondering what the administrative procedures to carry out are? How to enter, stay and work in the French territory?

The answer is yes. You will have to fill some procedures, depending on your nationality: citizen of the European Union and assimilated OR citizen of another country.

Citizen of the European Union

All citizens from Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lituania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Unites Kingdom, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Czech republic, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzeland.

You must simply have a valid identity card or passport.

The residence permit is not compulsory.

The one and only formality is, once arrived, to register at the city hall of your place of residence within the three months of your arrival in France.

Your close family members are welcome if they come from a European country : no visa required.

Non-citizens of the EU

If you are non-European, you will have to carry out two major procedures :

  •  To come in France, and before your arrival, you have to apply for a visa from the French Consulate (or from French consular authorities) from your country of origin. It all depends on the length of your stay. Several types of Visa are possible, depending on the length of your stay in France (less than 3 months, from 4 to 12 months, or over a year).
  • Once you are on the French territory, and in order to stay there longer and/or living here, you have to apply for a residence permit from to the prefecture. There are various types of residence permits, depending on the nature (employee, executive, student, etc.) or on the length of the stay.


To be able to work in France, whatever the duration of your professional stay, you must in obtain a work permit. There are several types of residence permits, depending on the reason (employee, manager, student …) or the length of stay in France.













Good to know

All civil status records must be accompanied by a translation into French by an authorized translator.

Key n°2: Your home

Coming to live in Rouen means above all finding your living space…  Finding a home that suits your personal taste is a fundamental, if not the most important, step in your move-in…Where to search ? Is a lease contract compulsory ? How to open meters?…Here are the keys to a safe way to find your home .

Looking and finding

In terms of price, housing supply is very affordable in Rouen and its surroundings. Purchase, rental, house, apartment, furnished, … the range offered has something to meet everyone’s preferences. The average price for a rental is : 11,04 € / sqm * (29,65 € / sqm* in Paris). Thus, it takes about 650 € rent per month for a 60 sqm apartment. On purchase, the price is 2232 € / sqm * on average (8764 € / sqm * for Paris). All these figures vary depending on the type of property, its location, the benefits it offers, its size, the state of renovation … Prices fall away from the heart of the city.


The choice of a place to live is vast and diversified: in the historic city center, in the Gare-Jouvenet district, on the left bank near the Botanic gardens, on the heights of Mont-Saint-Aignan, Bois -Guillaume, Bihorel, the green cities of Canteleu or Montigny, on the banks of the Seine, or in the nearby countryside, … there is certainly a place that will seduce you!


Where to search ?

Many real estate agencies (most affiliated to a professional union, which is a pledge of confidence) and Notary Offices in Rouen can help you in your search. There are also specialized websites. Some local newspapers list real estate offers. Finally, in some cases it is possible to call on Action Logement through its “Mobili Pass” specially designed for employees on professional mobility in order to facilitate their move to rented accommodation.

Lease contract, etc ...

Once the housing found, several steps must be completed: signing the lease contract, deposit of the rental guarantee, check-in inventory, insurance covering rental risks, designation of the energy supplier (gas / electricity) and opening of meters, and finally connection to telephone lines and WIFI. Here’s how to do it :

  •  The Signature of the lease contract : The signature of the lease contract is mandatory. This contract, written and drawn up in as many copies as there are parties (landlord, tenant, roommate, guarantor, etc.), should include a number of minimum notices: identity of the parties, designation and description of the property, amount of rent and charges, date of entry.
  • The deposit of a rent guarantee : The landlord may require the payment of a security deposit to cover any possible failure of the tenant (rent or unpaid charges, realization of rental repairs …).
  • Home insurance : it is mandatory for the lessee to take out a “household multi-risk insurance” policy and present it before signing the lease contract.
  • Check-in inventory : It consists in a contract that describes the exact condition of the rented accommodation. At the end of the lease, it will be compared to a departure inventory in order to determine if some repairs must be taken care by the tenant.
  • Opening  meters : Once your accommodation is found, one last formality remains: the opening of meters (water, gas, electricity) and lines (telephony, internet). As the market is now free and open, it is useful to compare offers. These meter openings can sometimes take a little time; initiate these steps early enough before your move (at least 15 days before the scheduled date)

The move

In some cities, such as Rouen for example, it is advisable to apply to the city hall for a permit to move to reserve a car park for the duration of the move. This request must be addressed to the Department of Public and Natural Spaces, at least 2 weeks before the move.

Good to know

The housing tax is the responsibility of the person who occupies the property. So, as a renter you are required to pay it.

Key n°3: Your vehicle

Do you want to arrive in France with your vehicle? Maybe you intend to buy a car or a motorcycle here? Before getting behind the wheel, or the handlebars, there are important information to should know.

Highway Code

The Highway Code is a set of rules that organize the traffic on public roads in France. Pedestrians, cyclists,

motorcyclists and motorists must respect these rules.

The non-compliance with the Highway Code leads to sanctions that can involve fine and prison sentence.

The Highway Code is a set of rules that organizes traffic on public roads in France. Pedestrians, cyclists and motorists must respect these rules. The non-compliance with the Highway Code leads to sanctions that can involve fine and prison sentence.

Driving license

The driving license issued in France is a driving license “with points”. At the time of issuance, the license includes a capital of 12 points. With each infraction of the highway code, and according to its degree of gravity, one / several point (s) will be (are) withdrawn (s) of your total points, which can go up to the withdrawal of the driving license.

There are several types of French driver’s license, but only two categories concern you:

  1. Motorcycle greater than 125cc- permanent license
  2. Car from 1 to 8 places – permanent license

Should you, once in France, exchange your driver’s license and apply for a French driver’s license?

It all depends on the country where your driver’s license was issued; it does not depend on your nationality.

If you have a driving license issued by a European Union country or an EEA country, you do not have to apply for an exchange for an equivalent French license. On the other hand, this is an obligation in the case of a traffic offense resulting in a restriction, suspension, cancellation of license or loss of points.

If you have a driving license issued by another state, not EU, two scenarii may happen :

Either you hold an “exchangeable” license, or you hold a “non-exchangeable” license :

  • An “exchangeable” permit is a driving license issued by a State with which France has concluded an agreement permitting the exchange of said driving license. So if you have a license exchangeable you must apply for the exchange of your foreign driver’s license against a French license to continue driving. If you fulfill the conditions for an exchange, a French driver’s license will be issued.
  • The request is made only by post. No information is given at the counters. If you live in the districts of Rouen and Dieppe, you must send (by registered letter ) a complete file to the Préfecture de la Seine-Maritime. If you live in Le Havre, you must send a complete file by registered letter to Sous-préfecture du Havre.If you live in Eure : a request for an appointment must first be sent for this purpose on the website of the Prefecture de l’Eure.

If your driving license is non-exchangeable, because issued by a State with which France has not concluded any agreement to this effect (very rare cases), you can no longer drive in France with your foreign license. You will need to pass the French driving license examination (theoretical test and practical test).

Vehicle registration

If you move to France and declare your main residence there, you must re-register your vehicle. The procedure, which is carried out exclusively online (see link below) must be made within one month after your installation. The address appearing on the registration card will be thr one of your domicile in France.

Choose an insurance

To be able to move in France with your vehicle you have to insure it. The mandatory minimum cover is for third-party liability insurance, known as third-party insurance. This warranty serves to repair the damage that the vehicle could cause against third parties. This formula does not include the damages caused to his own vehicle and to his own person. However, the passengers will be compensated, regardless of the link they have with it.

Good to know

Drivers who hold a “Student” resident permit or a valid special residence permits, regardless of which State provided them their license, benefit from the recognition in France of this license throughout the period of validity of their right of permanent residence.

Key n°4: Your money

You will soon realize that the relationship the French have with money is quite ambiguous, and different from that of the Americans, the British, or the Chinese. In any case, money remains a taboo subject in France: we do not talk about money, except with his banker!

The currency

Euro is the currency used in France as well as in the countries of the European Union that have adopted the euro and are part of the “euro zone”. Apart from these states that are part of the euro zone, it is possible to pay in euros in other countries. The euro is thus used in 25 countries.

Opening a bank account

If you move to French territory for more than three months, you can open a resident bank account to facilitate your salary payments, family allowances, withdrawals of money and the purchase or rental of your home. You will need to produce an ID, a Proof of your address in France (gas or electricity bill or landline bill, rent receipt).

Once your bank account opened, your bank will provide you bank details called “relevés d’identité bancaire” or “RIB” that will serve you to make money transfers (rent, phone, electricity, etc.) and to receive your salary, your allowances or other social benefits (medical reimbursements, family allowances, etc.)

You can either open an individual account or a joint account. The joint account is an account open by at least two people, with or without family relationship. Each co-account holders can use the account (deposit or withdraw money, write a cheque, etc.), with its signature alone. This type of account is mostly used by couples because it is very useful to cover common expenses. The joint account has a huge success in France: 64% of French choose this banking solution.

In France, the cheque book is still used and remains a popular means of payment.

The taxation in France : will you be taxable?

The French tax system is based on a number of compulsory levies that have different foundations and different names (taxes, fees and charges) and are operated by the state or local communities (region, municipalities …).

Will you be taxed in France ?

If your tax residence is in France, you will be taxable in France on all of your income from French sources and foreign sources.

Who is “French fiscal resident”?

Whatever your nationality, your tax residence is in France if your place of permanent residence is in France, that is to say your usual place of residence or that of your family (spouse and children).

You will also be considered a French tax resident if :

  • in case of double permanent residence, your center of economic and personal interests is located in France;
  • if the center of interests can not be determined, your main place of residence is in France (stay in France more than 183 days in the same year);
  • If none of these criteria is decisive (main stay in the 2 states or no main stay in the 2 states), your tax residence will be in France if you have French nationality.

In case of difficulty, the tax authorities of both countries can be seized to determine your tax residence.

If you are an impatriate French tax resident, there are, under certain conditions, a favorable tax system.

Lastly, there are international tax treaties designed to avoid double taxation.

Taxable persons must file a tax return each year. The declaration can be done by internet or on paper form.

If you are a non-resident tax resident in France you will be taxed only on French source income. Compensation paid in return for an activity carried on in France is therefore taxable in France, and you must file a tax return in France.

Social Security in France : do you have to be affiliated?

The French Social Security system is one of the best in the world. It is based on a principle of mutualisation. Automatic social security deductions are made from employers (for a large part) and from workers (to a lesser extent). All of these levies are poured into a common pot that serves as a “piggy bank” and which affiliates can take advantage in case of need (illness, unemployment, birth, retirement, ….). This is called Social Security. But since these reserves can not cover all social security spending in France, the French state also contributes to the supply of this common pot.


Does the foreigner living in France have to join the French system ?

As a general rule, foreign employees working in France must therefore join French social security regardless of their nationality and the place of establishment of their employer.

Thus, the salary and its accessories (benefits in kind, expatriation bonuses, …) paid to the foreign employee are subject to all social security contributions from the French compulsory and

complementary schemes at the rates in force. In return, the employee and his family benefit from the French social protection system.

If you are not an employee and wish to join the French social security system, you must make the necessary arrangements within three months of your arrival.

How to affiliate ?

In most cases, it will be handled by the human resources department of your company : these affiliation formalities are fulfilled by your employer. Once affiliated, you will receive your social security number, along with your Carte Vitale  (one per adult over 16). This card is to be presented at each medical consultation, whether at a doctor, at a hospital or at the pharmacist’s.


Your insurance

According to the current French law when the fault of a person causes harm to a third party, the person responsible must compensate the victim. This questioning of your responsibility can have serious financial consequences. It is therefore advisable, or even, in certain cases, imposed, to insure against the possible questioning of your responsibility. For example, underwriting a home liability insurance policy is mandatory for tenants. Car insurance is also mandatory for all motorists

You can subscribe to your insurance policies with a general insurance agent, an insurance company, a bank or a broker…

Good to know
  • If, in the context of a temporary assignment, you are employed and you stay less than 183 days in France you are not taxable on the remuneration received in connection with your activity in France, provided that such remuneration is paid to you by an employer abroad (not established in France).
  • It may be interesting to contact several agents or insurance brokers to compare their proposals and choose the one best suited to your situation.


arrived in Rouen ?

Find the answers to your questions by consulting our guide: